unwanted breeze('ish) icons in KFileWidget on Mac

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 14:10:59 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've been (less and less) mildly annoyed by the use of what looks like Breeze icons in what is probably the KFileWidget on Mac, where the same widget uses the user-selected theme on Linux.

As you know I'm developing a platform theme plugin for Mac which among other things allows feature parity in the look-and-feel department with Linux and other *BSD versions (without imposing a non-native look btw).

If fitting in with native looks is important, Breeze and Breeze'ish icon themes are probably the worst possible choice unless the goal is to emulate legacy MacOS version the ran on the original Mac Classic with its tiny monochrome screen.

In any case, I'd like to be able to provide users of my KF5/MacPorts packaging with the option to use an icon theme that's a hand-picked combination of various existing appropriate iconthemes, falling back on Oxygen (which looks much less out-of-place than Breeze).

KDialog and Kate are prime examples of how I do NOT want file navigation trees to look when I have selected my own icon theme. Other applications like KDevelop still work as I expect them to, even in their implementation of such navigation views.

I've been unable to find where those icons come from: apparently not from the Breeze icon theme itself, and I don't install any binary icon resources ("iconthemes.rcc"), at least not to my knowledge.

So where do those icons come from, and why are some applications immune? Pointers highly appreciated!

Thanks,
René