Global shortcuts should not send keyrelease event to app with focus (Re: KStandardAction::rename ?)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Feb 19 17:03:05 UTC 2017

On dimanche 19 février 2017 12:17:29 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Sunday February 19 2017 11:21:18 David Faure wrote:
> > KStandardAction::renameFile(), with default shortcut F2, already exists.
> > Apparently the naming is a bit too file-manager oriented, but this is the
> > standard rename action.
>
> Indeed, I noticed it after hitting send. It's new in KF5 though, at least
> I'm not seeing it in the kglobalaccel4 config pages. CC Milian.

Standard actions and shortcuts have nothing to do with global shortcuts, I
think you're confusing the two.

Standard actions and shortcuts are like Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V (and indeed F2 for
rename), they are handled in-process by each application who wants to support
them. So it's quite logical that you won't find that in kglobalaccel,
which is about workspace-wide global shortcuts like Alt+F2 (krunner),
mixer volume up/down, etc.

> > I ran the test application attached, then typed Ctrl+Alt+K (global
> > shortcut
> > for changing the keyboard layout) (this is a better example than Alt+F2 to
> > pop up krunner because that steals focus anyway).
>
> Any shortcut for raising or lowering windows would be a good example too.

This probably has focus-related side effects, making this more complex.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5