Global shortcuts should not send keyrelease event to app with focus (Re: KStandardAction::rename ?)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Feb 19 17:00:07 UTC 2017

On dimanche 19 février 2017 12:51:39 CET Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Am 19. Februar 2017 11:21:18 MEZ schrieb David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> >Result: the test app shows the keypress events for Ctrl and Alt
> >(obviously),
> >it does not show the keypress for K (good, this matches my
> >expectation),
> >BUT when I release K, the app receives a key *RELEASE* event for Key_K.
> >
> >Martin, is this a bug and is it fixable?
>
> That is not a bug and is the expected and correct behavior.

Can you elaborate why this is expected? If I press a workspace-wide global
shortcut like Alt+F2 or Ctrl+Alt+K, then I intend for that to go to the
workspace, not to the window with focus. The fact that this window does not
receive a keypress but receives a keyrelease for that key seems very
inconsistent and unexpected to me.

> Also the window gets a focus out and focus on event.

OK but that doesn't prevent processing the key release event.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5