Finding contributor email is imposible - was - Re: Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Feb 7 19:17:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 11:35:15PM +0100, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> El diumenge, 29 de gener de 2017, a les 8:32:21 CET, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > From this point forward, communities should be moving away from
>> > Reviewboard to Phabricator for conducting code review. Sysadmin will
>> > be announcing a timeline for the shutdown of Reviewboard in the near
>> > future.
>>
>> Today i wanted to commit https://phabricator.kde.org/D4432 since the person
>> that opened it does not have a developer account.
>>  <snip>
>>
>> ouch, so i need his email, where do i get it?
>>
>> Nowhere it seems.
>>
>> I resorted to searching for it in identity.kde.org but i think that i can only
>> do that because i have some special power over there that allows me to see
>> everyone's email, and even if everyone can, it's very cumbsersome, and
>> probably what i would end up doing is asking in Differential, the author would
>> have to answer, potentially either him or me forgetting about it.

Hi all,

In relation to this issue please continue this at
https://phabricator.kde.org/T5242
If we could keep the discussion in a single place that would be appreciated.

> In fairness to Phabricator there's been times where I've needed
> developer contact info *without* having a RR available.  In the "good
> old days" we'd just use the kde-common/accounts file to lookup the
> developer's id and corresponding email address, and that worked fine.

The kde-common/accounts file is still being maintained, however
Sysadmin does intend to disconnect Subversion usernames from
everything else, to avoid the arguments over usernames we have with
some people.

> So I think Identity (and in general whatever our KDE organizational
> directory solution happens to be) is the proper solution -- although it
> shouldn't need superpowers to actually see those identities.  And of
> course, there's no reason not to also show the email in Phabricator,
> which would be more helpful and developer-friendly.

We'll probably only be able to address this when the replacement to
Identity is built, as existing users accepted a privacy policy which
stated we wouldn't publish their details.

We'll have to be careful how this is done however, knowing the privacy
activists we have lurking around.

Sysadmin has received many requests in the past to have Bugzilla
accounts removed because "you're exposing my email address" even
though the site says in a massive font that your email address will be
made public when your register.

> Regards,
>  - Michael Pyne

Regards,