Differential commit log keyword is uncomfortable - WAS - Re: Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Feb 4 18:28:42 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 6:30 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El diumenge, 29 de gener de 2017, a les 8:32:21 CET, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We've just completed the registration of all mainline repositories
>> (not including Websites or Sysadmin namespaced ones) on Phabricator.
>> Thanks go to Luigi Toscano for providing significant assistance with
>> this process.
>>
>> From this point forward, communities should be moving away from
>> Reviewboard to Phabricator for conducting code review.
>
> https://community.kde.org/Policies/Commit_Policy#Special_keywords_in_GIT_and_SVN_log_messages
>
> Differential Revision: https://phabricator.kde.org/D<number>
>
> can we get something much shorter like
>
> DIFFERENTIAL: D<number>
> or even
> DIFFERENTIAL: <number>
> ?

This hook is provided by Phabricator upstream, and is processed by
Phabricator itself, not our code.

At the moment we're taking the line that to protect our ability to
continue to maintain Phabricator in an orderly fashion, we'll be
making very little if any changes to Phabricator. I'd therefore rather
not have to make this change. Please be aware that upstream is making
changes in a rapid manner, so even small changes can quickly become a
support burden.

Changing it would also break compatibility with Arcanist, which
automatically inserts this line when it's used.

I'll also note that Differential Revision: *MUST* be the last line in
a commit message, otherwise it won't trigger.

> I guess making both work should not be hard.
>
> The fact that you have to write "Differential Revision:" vs REVIEW: CCMAIL: BUG: etc is quite "strange"
>
> Also neededing to include the full url is not very comfortable when writing.

If you are referencing Phabricator tasks in a commit message you can
write either "Ref Txxx" or "Fixes Txxx" which is the equivalent hook
for those. So long as it's on it's own line, it can appear anywhere in
a commit message.

> Does anyone have love for the current syntax?
>
> Cheers,
>   Albert

Regards,
Ben