Phabricator differential is not good - WAS - Re: Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Feb 3 22:41:15 UTC 2017

El divendres, 3 de febrer de 2017, a les 21:06:08 CET, Ben Cooksley va
escriure:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > El diumenge, 29 de gener de 2017, a les 8:32:21 CET, Ben Cooksley va
escriure:
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> We've just completed the registration of all mainline repositories
> >> (not including Websites or Sysadmin namespaced ones) on Phabricator.
> >> Thanks go to Luigi Toscano for providing significant assistance with
> >> this process.
> >>
> >> From this point forward, communities should be moving away from
> >> Reviewboard to Phabricator for conducting code review.
> >
> > I just created first patch with the phabricator web interface.
> >
> > Found one minor and one major problem.
> >
> > Minor problem:
> >  * You can't update the diff before creating a "Revision", so if you
> >  realize
> >
> > your diff was wrong, back luck, you either leave the diff floating in the
> > limbo or you create the Revision and the update the diff, showing the
> > world
> > your mistake for no reason
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/D4422?vs=10881&id=10882
>
> Interesting. It might be worth asking upstream about that.
>
> > Major problem:
> >  * It doesn't show context
> >
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/D4422
> >
> > "Context not available." is terrible, how is one supposed to review
> > without
> > being able to read the rest of the code?
> >
> > This is a deal breaker for me.
>
> Please see https://secure.phabricator.com/T5029

As said on IRC, the fact that this has been open for almost 3 years is more a
concern than a relief.

> This only occurs when patches are uploaded from the web interface and
> the patch in question has minimal context.
> At this time Phabricator is not able to automatically resolve context
> using markers in the patch (there are certain complexities involved
> for some SCMs, particularly for SVN - which Phabricator supports)
>
> The fix for this is to either:
> a) Use Arcanist, the recommended tool for working with Phabricator
> (this is no different to rb-tools for Reviewboard)

This is not ok, the web interface for reviewboard was as good as rb-tools (i
guess tbh i never used them) and "forcing" the use of a weird tool noone has
heard of is not a good way to attract new contributors

Cheers,
  Albert