Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Feb 2 09:31:40 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Il 02.02.2017 10:09 Ben Cooksley ha scritto:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As a starting point: keeping the software itself running is a
>> non-starting option from my perspective. It's going to be shutdown.
>> This is purely to reduce the amount of maintenance effort we have to
>> expend in keeping our systems running.
>

> Sorry Ben, but this is not the solution. See below.
>
>> There is an enormous amount of software and other systems deployed on
>> our infrastructure, and the value of continuing to maintain software,
>> including associated security updates, major upgrades to ensure we're
>> able to continue running it on modern distributions, etc for something
>> which is no longer in active use is questionable at best. Bitrot and
>> decay is almost guaranteed to erode the value of it as a historical
>> archive in the long run in any case.
>>
>> For those who dismiss decay as an issue - problems with previous
>> Reviewboard upgrades not taking cleanly have resulted in some reviews
>> being damaged, causing their diffs to become unavailable. These sorts
>> of problems do happen.
>

> If it is a resource problem, it can be addressed elsewhere as well. The e.V.
> can hire people.
>
>> Whether some kind of read only archive is retained is another topic
>> altogether.
>>
>> Reviewboard has a WebAPI which should be usable by anyone interested
>> to extract all the information regarding reviews, including their
>> comments and the diff itself. This could be used to create a static
>> snapshot of each review.
>

> Here I disagree, I think it is exactly the same issue. Without a read only
> archive, easily accessibile like the current reviewboard (for which a static
> copy will be the best solution), we need to keep the site up and it is not
> thinkable that anyone would go and extract single reviews. It should be
> available for all the content.

The above point was giving an indication of how exactly someone with a
vested interest in creating a read only archive would go about it.
Whilst I haven't checked, I would imagine API exists to retrieve the
list of reviews (although it's an incrementing number, with a large
gap between the last number of SVN reviews and the first of the Git
reviews)

This isn't a task which has to be done by Sysadmin - the Reviewboard
WebAPI is accessible (within reasonable usage of course) to anyone
with an Identity account. To be honest it would be better that it be
done by someone who works with the reviews, as they'll be more aware
of the issues surrounding various forms of presentation (threading,
etc) that needs to be taken care of.

> --
> Luigi
>

> Con Open 4 Giga a 9 euro/4 sett navighi veloce, chiami e invii SMS dal tuo
> smartphone verso tutti i fissi e mobili in Italia. Passa a Tiscali Mobile!
> http://casa.tiscali.it/mobile/

Regards,
Ben