Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Wed Feb 1 11:40:51 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 10:31:44 CET Francis Herne wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to reply-all and only sent to kdevelop-devel...
>
> -------------
>
> Hi,
>
> First off, there's a lot of postponed, or at least possibly-useful,
> work on ReviewBoard which would be lost. Some of this is from newish
> contributors who might be discouraged - e.g. the author of
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/129589/ mentioned on IRC the other
> day that he's hoping to complete it at some point.

I think that we need some cleanup on the old reviews (Albert Astal Cid started
some time ago) and more important strongly tell new users (and old users) to
use Phabricator. I don't think that anyone wants to lose the work, but if a
review has not been touched in a few months maybe it's time to see it is still
interesting.
If we start doing this now (or yesterday), the flow of new patches in
reviewboard should decrease quickly.

> For already-committed work:
>
> Even if the mail-archiving infrastructure was in a useful state, this
> would be inconvenient - there are more than a *thousand* REVIEW: tags in
> kdev* project commits, plus several comments with "see <review url>".
>
> Many mailing lists aren't logged at all, there's no internal
> search with only patchy Google indexing, and 'browsing' the archive
> means clicking through arbitrarily-grouped mails by date with minimal
> threading. That's not merely inconvenient, it's going to cause a
> catastrophic loss of information.

I agree as well that the review information should be kept online.

--
Luigi