KF5Solid in subprefix and/or on [K]Ubuntu 14.04

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 08:57:39 UTC 2017

On Thursday August 17 2017 10:11:35 David Faure wrote:

>Maybe a missing devel package (optional dependency of solid) ?
>Check the cmake output when configuring solid...

The first thing I did of course ;) Everything appears to be there:

-- The following features have been enabled:
 * Solid::Job, WIP: Base class for Solid Asynchronous apis
-- The following RUNTIME packages have been found:
 * MediaPlayerInfo, Enables identification and querying of portable media players, <http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/media-player-info>
   Runtime-only dependency of the udev solid backend. Support for m-p-i is included even if not found during build
-- The following REQUIRED packages have been found:
 * ECM (required version >= 5.35.0), Extra CMake Modules., <https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdesupport/extra-cmake-modules>
 * Qt5Xml
 * Qt5DBus
 * Qt5Gui (required version >= 5.8.0)
 * Qt5Widgets
 * FLEX, Fast Lexical Analyzer, <http://flex.sourceforge.net>
   Required for the Predicate parser
 * BISON, general-purpose parser generator, <http://www.gnu.org/software/bison>
   Required for the Predicate parser
 * UDev, UDev support for Solid, <http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html>
   Allows Solid to use UDev to provide information about devices on Linux
 * Qt5LinguistTools
 * Qt5Concurrent
 * Qt5Test
 * Qt5 (required version >= 5.6.0)
-- The following features have been disabled:
 * Solid::PowerManagement, WIP: Freedesktop backend for the asynchronous api
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done

The only thing I can think of is that my UDev version is a bit old (the kernel.org URL in the log is stale, btw). Given that UDev is apparently part of the systemd sources and Ubuntu 14.04 has some sort of hybrid support for that I'm hesitant to update it system-wide (and the debian/rules files isn't exactly trivial either).
Then again, it's not that my installed UDev version (204) is incapable of reading the information, it does so fine with KDE4/Solid.
I'm considering to install an up-to-date copy in my $prefix, but that's also an exercise I'd happily avoid if not necessary or unlikely to improve things.

R.