D6830: Make use of kauth helper in copy method of file ioslave

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 11 20:54:44 UTC 2017

dfaure requested changes to this revision.
dfaure added a comment.

  You wrote: "For the case you mentioned kauth prompt will always be triggered during opening of file for writing."

  I disagree. My example case is a FAT permission where the user has write permissions, but chown/chgrp/chmod fails due to FAT not supporting these operations. Please test it.
  If you don't have a FAT partition, here's how to create one inside a file.

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/fatdevice bs=4k count=100
    mkfs.vfat /tmp/fatdevice
    mkdir /tmp/fat
    sudo mount -o loop,uid=$UID /tmp/fatdevice /tmp/fat
    ls -lad /tmp/fat
    kioclient5 copy ~/.bashrc /tmp/fat/destfile

  When I do this, I get this warning from kio_file (in ~/.xsession-errors), which is, thankfully, ignored (no user message box).
  FileProtocol::copy: "Couldn't preserve group for '/tmp/fat/destfile'"

  So I would say: when writing worked without privilege elevation, we should keep the current logic where chown/chgrp/chmod/utime errors are ignored.
  On the other hand, if writing required kauth, then we can keep using kauth for those other operations (they won't prompt).