KDE Frameworks in Conan.io (et al.)?

Luiz Romário Santana Rios luizromario at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 03:02:20 UTC 2017

Hello, all.

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I think it would
be interesting to have some Frameworks available on Conan.io[1]. Conan
is a package manager, much similar to Rust's Cargo or Python's pip,
except it's distributed. Inqlude[2] has something more or less in the
same vein, but the advantage of Conan in this case is that the
developer wouldn't be restricted to Qt-only libraries, which would be
very useful for cases where the application only uses one or maybe two
frameworks. I'm cautiously confident that it would boost the adoption
of KDE frameworks by "casual" users.

Since Conan is distributed, I think it's possible to provide a KDE
Conan server to host the frameworks. Alternatively, which should be
easier, we could just upload some frameworks and their dependencies to
Conan.io and see if it works.

I'll try to setup a KArchive conan package myself and either setup a
server myself or upload the package to Conan. I'm not promising
anything, but I'll be back later if I have any interesting results.
I'll also be looking at alternative systems like cget[3], et al..

Any thoughts?

[1]: https://www.conan.io/
[2]: https://inqlude.org/get.html
[3]: https://github.com/pfultz2/cget