Scrap baloo?

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Thu Sep 15 19:34:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

> Il giorno Wed, 14 Sep 2016 23:29:22 +0200 (CEST)
> Christoph Cullmann <cullmann at absint.com> ha scritto:
>

>> CC'd Vishesh, perhaps I am wrong with that issues and misunderstand
>> the code, unfortunately e.g. the database structure is not that well
>> documented, if I don't just not find the correct docs in the git.
>
> While perhaps it's strong to write "scrap", I believe this is a
> potentially useful Framework which (along with KFileMetadata) extremely
> badly documented.
>
> I don't mean to bash its maintainer here, I say it as a statement of
> fact: in order to implement KFileMedadata in my own application, I had
> to scavenge the source code to understand how to use it, and there were
> close to 0 API docs.
>
> As discussed with Cristoph last night on IRC, I would suggest to use
> this case to ensure that, in the future:
>
> a. Only allow frameworks with at least a maintenance commitment promise
> b. Only allow frameworks with at least their main classes properly
> documented.
> c. Only allow frameworks with adequate test coverage (more unit
> tests would have uncovered some of the problems here?)
>
>> 4) fundamental problems like: wrong data structure for index (32-bit
>> inodes in 21th century?) and close to zero docs what it does
>> internally
>
> I assume this won't be switchable easily?
>
>> Scrap baloo_file* and Co. and just reimplement the public API (modulo
>> the settings for the then non-existing indexer daemon) to use tracker.
>
> As I said yesterday on IRC, I don't oppose this if it means better
> maintenance. Only, please ensure things won't break, I don't want to
> deal with the angry mobs in the forum. ;)
>
>> => Opinions?
>
> It would be nice to hear what Vishesh, Pinak and Boudhayan think about
> this.

For fun I just removed all baloo_file things in a clone and added some basic tracker quering instead:

https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=clones%2Fbaloo%2Fcullmann%2Ftbaloo.git

Things like

baloosearch -d /local/cullmann/ "KTextEditor"

work with that, but I guess more not ATM as I still struggle with the query format.
Perhaps I should not create a Term at all and just use the set types + query string.

Problem is, too, that for tags, tracker seems to have an other API to get them, in contrast to normal sparql queries,
or I just don't understand the tracker docs right, need to read up.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com