C++11 & friends

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Sep 12 06:09:08 UTC 2016

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 3:21:21 AM CEST Dominik Haumann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just saw a commit by Volker turning nullptr into Q_NULLPTR with the
> comment that Visual Studio 2012 does not support nullptr.
>
> While this change is trivial for obvious reasons, do we really need to do
> that?
>
> I am raising this question especially since KTextEditor seems to use
> 'nullptr' in several locations now for several releases - and noone
> complained.

I have said so in the past and I will continue to say this: as long as we
don't have a CI system which can verify the C++11 subset we are allowed to
use, it's pointless to try to restrict the usage. We are humans and no
compilers. Nobody can expect that we remember which calls are allowed and
which not if we have C++14 compliant compilers.

To me the only relevant and allowed subset of C++ is the one which compiles on
build.kde.org.

Cheers
Martin