ABI break checking in frameworks

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Oct 30 10:13:28 UTC 2016

On mercredi 26 octobre 2016 23:54:33 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> 2) Make it a manual step (sorry David), we could have a script that for
> every release downloads and compiles the tarballs of it and the previous
> version and runs abidiff on them.
>

> Currently I am kind of leaning towards 2, but that is not optimal either
> since you need a system that can compile all the frameworks (and actually
> compile them twice).

Well it wouldn't really be manual, it would be automated as part of the
release process, and it would compare the output from release N with the
output from release N-1, which would be left on the release server after a
release. So it wouldn't be "compile twice", but "compile once".

However the bit I don't like is that any breakage would delay releases.
I would find the problem on release day, then send an email if it's in a
framework I don't work on myself, and then I'd have to wait for a fix...

So yeah I'd much rather that this is part of build.kde.org indeed, if
possible.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5