ATTN: latest changes in breeze-icons make packaging untenable

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Oct 25 15:21:35 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:47:40 PM CEST Luca Beltrame wrote:
> Hello,
>
> recent changes in breeze broke building in openSUSE's OBS: after a
> discussion on IRC, it turned out that there were incorrect symlinks.
> Adjustments were made in order to preserve space. However, while
> harmless at first (I didn't notice earlier, and CI was green) these
> changes *break* packaging for most systems.
>
> The reason? Directories became symlinks, hence a package manager can't
> fix that, it will totally break when a package updates (because it will
> try to symlink something existent).
>
> Therefore there is *no* way the current state of breeze-icons can be
> installed a the moment by any sane distribution. No problem for now,
> but Frameworks are monthly releases, so...
>
> This needs to be fixed, even if at the cost of wasting space (but
> making packagers much happier).
>
> If there's no consensus, I will revert these commits [1][2][3][4] in
> breeze-icons by Sunday morning.

+1 go for it. Sorry for the problems this caused to distros. As a reminder to
our devs and designers: frameworks have a review policy. the commits mentioned
by Luca have no Review hint. Please don't push without prior review -
especially not if you change something like that. We could have get the
expertise in during the review.

Cheers
Martin