Adding new protocols to network KIO

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Oct 19 16:53:34 UTC 2016

Hi Gerhard,

I really don't know anything about zeroconf/avahi, but I see that the related
code is in the framework kdnssd.  (Not sure how that interacts with KIO...)

Cc'ing the maintainer (Matthew Dawson), the KDE frameworks list,
But looking at the git log it seems not much happened on that framework since
the port to Qt5 ... so maybe it's just some porting bugs that haven't been
caught yet. Happy debugging ;)

PS: I approved the KUrl change though, seems clear.

On mercredi 19 octobre 2016 17:51:07 CEST Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
> Hallo David,
>
> I tried to integrate a new protocol (OPC UA, a protocol for industrial
> automation technology) into network KIO (zeroconf).
>
> OPC UA itself can make already use from Zeroconf inside UA applications to
> discover OPC UA servers. But I would like to integrate it also into Dolphin,
> so that you are able to connect to UA servers simply in Dolphin by clicking
> on discovered UA servers, very similar to SSH, SFTP, etc.
>
> Using avahi service files it is very easy for Linux based servers to
> announce themselves without programming anything. Simply put the service
> file into /etc/avahi/services.
> Example:
> <service-group>
>   <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
>   <service>
>     <type>_opcua._tcp</type>
>     <port>4840</port>
>   </service>
> </service-group>
>
> This way the service appears using "avahi-browse -a".
>
> Also in KDE4 it appears in dolphin in network://
> In KDE5 it does not appear, it seems this get filtered somehow.
>
> Now I've two questions:
> 1.) How to get KDE5 to show this service
> 2.) How to configure KDE or Freedesktop MIME stuff so that with a click on
> the service in Dolphin an associated application gets started.
>
> I was already able to make xdg-open (which calls kde-open) working with
> opc.tcp:// urls following this description:
> http://edoceo.com/howto/xfce-custom-uri-handler
> (Actually I needed to fix a bug to make this workingin KDE4, see
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/129208/ )
>
> But Dolphin or the network KIO seems to need additional configuration.
> But I don't know the details and could not find any documentation on this
> topic.
>
> I hope you can help me with this or give me a contact which knows about
> this. Thx a lot.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5