Review Request/New Framework: KF5::SyntaxHighlighting

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Oct 2 08:41:15 UTC 2016

On Saturday 01 October 2016 21:28:54 Dominik Haumann wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > On samedi 10 septembre 2016 17:47:00 CEST Volker Krause wrote:
> >> please review KF5::SyntaxHighlighting (syntax-highlighting in Git) for
> >> becoming a framework :)
> >
> > Looks good. I found a few things though.
> > [...]
>
> Christoph and me were just talking about the release again, and would
> like to delay until next month (i.e. KF 5.28). Then, we have a bit
> more time to make sure the API ships what KTextEditor requires.
>
> While the highlighting API already looks really good and the existing
> code is in excellent (!) shape, the xml definition files also provide
> code folding information. And this this part was not much discussed so
> far, meaning that we probably need to change API, or at least extend
> the API again potentially with virtual functions. We are sorry we
> missed this so far.

Ok, so let's implement that in time for 5.28 then :)

What's the information you need? Notification whenever entering or leaving a
folding range, similar to the format notification?

Looking at the following C++ example

/* sasdf */
{ { } {
//BEGIN
}
//END
}

suggests that folding ranges can overlap. If multiple ranges open in a line,
is the first or last one considered? The example is rendered like it's the
first, but folded like it's the last in current KTE.

> Hope this is OK?
>
> @Volker: We could release a version without installing the headers for
> AbstractHighlighter, but that again would limit the use for other
> projects. Or what do you think?

Yep, that makes very little sense, as that will also prevent using any of the
sub-classes, removing  the one feature external users of this want: syntax
highlighting :)

> @David: Can you take care of not releasing with KF 5.27?
>
> Btw, say we do not release the framework with KF 5.27, can KTextEditor
> already depend on in it master starting next week or so for KF 5.28 ?

Regards,
Volker