python binding's __init__.py

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Nov 15 10:31:04 UTC 2016

Alohas

I am currently trying to package kitemmodels' python bindings. The
module generator installs

-./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyKF5/__init__.py
-./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/PyKF5/KItemModels.so

This will cause a fairly shitty problem on packaging level, when a
second framework wants to generate bindings. Both would be installing
__init__.py in the same path, thus conflicting with one another, thus
making the packages not co-installable.

I rather think we need a pykf5 framework which does nothing more than
install an empty __init__.py which will need to be installed to use
any bindings OR change the installation path to fully isolate the
directories PyKF5ItemModels/KItemModels.so.
Latter will make for ugly code on the python side, so I think the
former approach would be the best solution.

HS