QGlobalStatic and windowing specific calls in dtor

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 30 14:25:38 UTC 2016

Hi frameworks-dev,

I have a problem with my KWayland based plugin for KIdleTime. KIdleTime uses a
QGlobalStatic, so it gets destroyed at exit-time. At that point the
QGuiApplication and the qpa plugin does not exist any more, so any windowing
system specific calls will fail.

In the case of the KWayland based plugin, KWayland performs cleanup calls
which crash as the wayland connection got already destroyed. In principle the
same could also happen for the other plugins - they just don't perform any
cleanup and prefer to leak X resources.

So what's the best way to handle such a situation? How can I tear-down the
plugin in a clean way without crashing?

Cheers
Martin