LGPL for Breeze QStyle and qtquickcontrols?

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira.da.costa at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:48:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

[snip]

> ​Architecturally, the eventual solution would be that breeze.git becomes
> layered, and routines beyond what QStyle defines are provided by an LGPL
> lib. It worked with libOxygen that is LGPL.
> The reason for liboxygen was that part of Oxygen was also used by KWin
> decoration. We fixed that by moving the decorations together with the style
> into one repository.
liboxygen was also there to take care of code shared between the style
and the decoration, but internal only, no headers exported, no so
version, no abi, api stability guaranty of any kind. I have no clue how
this could be used by the external world in any way.

> Personally I think liboxygen was rather a hack and an annoyance.
based on the above, I was seeing it as a "private" library, needed to
avoid code duplication and ease maintenance between two parts of oxygen.
As for the licensing of such a thing, no clue, but again, I never
intended it to be re-used by any other code.

>> Especially that QStyle is
>> mostly just maintained. "Use QStyle and plugins" sounds almost like "use X
>> "protocol instead of DWD"...
>> Going LGPL is a first step for this being even considered as a task by a
>> KDE contributor. Without that the easiest thing is to work downstream
>> forking^w copying the design and such.

>>> progress.

>>> I repeat again: I object to a relicense of code I have written to GPL in
>>> the
>>> case of Breeze and Oxygen.
>> I see much of oxygen​
>>
>> ​is BSD-like and LGPL of the change happened in with the Breeze.
> I have here a file open oxygenstyleplugin.cpp which is licensed as GPL v2+.
> Thus the whole thing is licensed GPLv2+. Why the code is inconsistent licensed
> I do not know.

Probably me copying code around without caring much. I would agree to
re-license all the part I wrote to GPL v2+.

best,

Hugo