KActivities outside of plasma5 sessions

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 14 07:05:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

The kactivities daemon was moved recently, from the framework to (IIRC) a dedicated plasma package.
I've never really used the feature even on Linux, and have the impression that it may not be very useful outside of plasma sessions so that particular change didn't make me pause. As far as I'm concerned the KActivities framework is mostly there in my use context to satisfy dependencies for projects that do not consider it optional.

It does however lead to messages like

KActivities: FATAL ERROR: Failed to contact the activity manager daemon

which I never noticed before.

So, to be certain: exactly what is the intended status of KActivities outside of full-blown plasma sessions, or on platforms other than standard Unices incl. Linux? Is it supposed to function there?

More generally speaking, what's so fatal about that daemon not running that it has to be shouted out each time I launch an application like Okular5 on OS X or installed in a parallel prefix to run under a KDE4 desktop? This may be a stupid question, but why isn't the KDE4 kactivities daemon detected?