LGPL for Breeze QStyle and qtquickcontrols?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 9 05:53:34 UTC 2016

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 10:10:50 PM CEST Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Hi,
> Is relicensing Breeze QStyle to LGPL from GPL for possible and acceptable?
> I've found cases when bits of the code beyond QStyle/KStyle API need
> to be reused. One example is: custom widgets.
> If we're considering Breeze QStyle as implementation of certain
> artwork, and KDE artwork in general would be LGPL also for
> consistency.
> For example wallpapers, icons are LGPL.
>
> Similarly I can only deduce that breeze/qtquickcontrols/* is GPL now,
> it's not clear in breeze.git. The same question here: can it be LGPL
> or BSD?
>
> Bottom line is: if we want to popularise our frameworks in the outside
> world...

I fail to follow you why Breeze QStyle should be a framework. No framework
should depend on it, Breeze QStyle is a plugin and it's only getting loaded by
either setting an env variable manually or using the Plasma QPT plugin which
is not in Frameworks either.

Anyway on the question of whether to relicense to LGPL you should ask the
copyright holders and I doubt you found them here on frameworks-devel as
Breeze is not a framework. I'm one of the copyright holders and as I don't
understand why you want it relicensed I would not agree to it. I think GPL is
the proper license for our workspace components.

Cheers
Martin