Qt 5.6/QtWebkit (got it, now to build it)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 08:34:26 UTC 2016

René J. V. Bertin wrote:

>> Webkit packages can be found from here:
>> http://download.qt.io/community_releases/5.6/5.6.0/

I presume there must be at least one member on this list who managed to build
QtWebKit 5.6.0 (and remembers how)?

Sorry about asking on here, but I'm not getting any answers on the Qt mailing
list and I'd like to get this over with.

I've now tried several approaches that all led to either header file not found
errors or symbol not found linker errors:

- shadow build vs. in-tree build (in-tree seems less problematic)
- unpacked the package as qtwebkit inside the main Qt source tree so it builds
as part of Qt's configure/make/make install monolithic build
- used the installed qmake 5.6.0 inside the qtwebkit-opensource-src-5.6.0 tree,
on WebKit.pro followed by make
- used the Tools/Scripts/build-webkit script

My latest attempt ended like this, after about 50 minutes :

%> Tools/Scripts/build-webkit --qmake=/opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake --qt --
release --prefix=/opt/local/libexec/qt5 --install-headers=/opt/local/include/qt5

Source/WebKit/qt/WidgetSupport/QtFallbackWebPopup.cpp:29:
Source/WebKit/qt/WidgetApi/qgraphicswebview.h:23:10: fatal error:
      'QtWebKit/qwebkitglobal.h' file not found
#include <QtWebKit/qwebkitglobal.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
make[2]: *** [.obj/WebKit/qt/WidgetApi/qwebinspector.o] Error 1

That's the exact error (on a different file) I'd seen trying the monolithic
build. It was suggested that was because the packagers forget to run syncqt on
the source tree. I tried to figure out how to do that myself, but if I arrived at
the correct invocation something else must be wrong (sync.profile not updated?)
because it doesn't change the above error.

For now the only partly relevant info I found googling is
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/25236 which doesn't appear to
be very helpful.

Thanks...
René