Where to put kwayland integration plugins

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 09:26:58 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi framework-developers,
>
> in Plasma we have a repository called kwayland-integration. It provides a
> plugin for:
> * KWindowSystem
> * KIdleTime
>
> using the KWayland client API. Thus it makes these frameworks functional on
> windowing system Wayland.
>
> I want to move the plugins into frameworks and are wondering how to do that
> and where to move them to.
>
> I see the following options:
> 1. Integrate directly into kwindowsystem and kidletime
> 2. Merge them into frameworks-integration
> 3. Create a new framework kwayland-integration
> 4. create a new framework "kwindowsystem-wayland" and "kidletime-wayland"
>
> Option 1 is I think an absolute no-no as it would turn kwindowsystem and
> kidletime from tier 1 to tier 2 and that would affect a huge amount of other
> frameworks. For everything which is not in tier 1, I think it's the way to go.
>
> Option 2 is something I don't want to do as that would combine windowing
> system integration code with random other stuff and would result in weird
> dependencies. (To use KIdleTime on Wayland one needs X11 and Phonon?)
>
> The same actually also applies to Option 3, though it is just two frameworks
> and all dependencies would be tier 1.
>
> So personally I think option 3 or option 4 are the way to go.
>
> What do you think? Better ideas?

I agree ideally it's 3 or 4. Where do you have it now? Are they
already separate repositories? If so, just moving them to frameworks
could make sense.

In Purpose I have a similar problem (and I know the discussion is also
relevant for other frameworks). We usually don't want plugins to raise
the tier of your base framework, but you still need them to be
distributed together and either way you need to make sure the plugins
will be available when the system is deployed (which is actually much
easier in option 1).

Aleix