[kio] : khelpcenter no longer works on OS X

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:57:06 UTC 2016

On Thursday June 02 2016 10:25:36 David Faure wrote:

Are you sure kdeinit and/or klauncher don't filter stderr? I'm not getting *anything* on the kdeinit5 terminal, not with qDebug(), not with qCDebug(KIO_HELP) (category I added), not even with fprintf(stderr,...) ...

Anyway, I found the issue. Nothing to do with KIO in itself, everything with my full transition to a QSP patch that uses only a set of preprocessor tokens to configure QSP for XDG compliant mode. For some reason KIO had been configured once without these tokens and I had never reconfigured it.
I've left the debugging trace/report I was building over the last few hours to give some idea what it took before I finally had a hunch that this had happened (or rather, at first I thought I had left an error in my patch).

Not having terminal output and only having Qt Creator to know the value of QStrings and a handful of other objects (which put it in some sort of endless loop half of the time) made this very time-consuming. Very stupid, with hindsight I should of course have noticed that klauncher was using a socket in ~/Library/Application Support instead of in $TMPDIR/runtime-$LOGNAME :-/

The amazing thing is that apparently the rest of the ioslaves and what-have-you worked ...

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the direction how to debug this!

R.

> * If you prefer gdb,
> https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Debugging_IOSlaves

%> env KDE_SLAVE_DEBUG_WAIT=help kdeinit5
[...]
"slave-debug mode is not available as Klauncher is not using kdeinit"

So much for that thought ...

I'll see if I can send a SIGSTOP (note to /self: NOT a SIGHUP :-/!) to self from help.so's entry point.

XML_CATALOG_FILES: "file:///opt/local/share/kf5/kdoctools/customization/catalog.xml file:///opt/local/share/kf5/kdoctool ..."
(value truncated by Qt Creator)

in ::get(), initial call:

url="help:///kdoctools5-common/kde-docs.css"
-> doc= "/kdoctools5-common/kde-docs.css"
-> empty QString returned from lookupFile(doc, query="") because langLookup("/kdoctools5-common/kde-docs.css") returns an empty string.
     That's probably normal(?)