API review: FavIconManager vs FavIconHostRequestJob

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Jan 31 09:40:12 UTC 2016

On Thursday 28 January 2016 09:35:53 laurent Montel wrote:
> +ecm_qt_declare_logging_category(kiogui_SRCS HEADER favicons_debug.h
> IDENTIFIER FAVICONS_LOG CATEGORY_NAME kde.kio.favicons)
> In this directory we will use just favicon ?
> Perhaps a more generic log name no ?

Well, one debug area per lib is the lazy solution. More precise debug areas
allow to turn on favicon debugging without turning on a whole lot of other stuff.

> For me api seems good.

Which one? The Manager API or the Job API? :-)

> > // explicit start() like KJob says, or automatic start() like KIO does?
> > // I'm always afraid people will forget to call start(), given the current
> > inconsistency...
>
> Yep some time I forgot it in kmail when I used manual call to start.
> So if you want to use it make it automatic it's better.

I agree, but then I wonder why KJob doesn't autostart (with an early
exit in start if it was already called). Kévin?

> For the moment this favicon module is not released.

Ah, right, I keep forgetting that.

> So all existing application will failed to register to it until it's release
> So it's not a real problem if we migrate now to your class.
> Now how many application use it ?

https://lxr.kde.org/search?_filestring=&_string=%22%2Fmodules%2Ffavicons%22
says:
KIO, keditbookmarks, konqueror, akregator, the rss dataengine in plasma.

Of course many other apps use it indirectly, via the KIO::iconNameForUrl() API,
so they will benefit from this, but they don't need any porting.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5