Making polkit-qt-1 a tier1 framework

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jan 25 08:12:50 UTC 2016

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 11:59:28 AM CET David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 14 January 2016 13:20:01 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to suggest to move polkit-qt-1 [1] from kdesupport to frameworks.
> > Reasons are:
> >
> > * kdesupport is basically what became tier1 in frameworks
> > * it's used by other frameworks, e.g. KAuth (tier 2) and in
> > kde/workspace
> > * polkit-qt-1 is currently in a not really released state (last release
> > in 2014, quite a few bugfixes around)
> >
> > By moving it to frameworks we get closer to getting rid of kdesupport
> > and get the making releases problem solved once and for all: bug fixes
> > will get to users in a timely manner.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> Sounds good. A few questions come to mind:
>
> - Will you be the official maintainer? (Otherwise who will?)

eh no, my domain knowledge is not enough and I already maintain too much.

My suggestion for maintainer is shared responsibility of Plasma team. Not
optimal, but still better than the unmaintained state it's currently in. And
Plasma needs polkit.

> - Is this an opportunity for a better name? I keep wondering why this lib
> targets Qt 1 :-)

The name makes kind of sense. It's a Qt wrapper for polkit-1. If you have a
better name suggestion: sure, but it shouldn't cause breakage for existing
code.

Cheers
Martin