KIOGui ?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Jan 14 01:53:09 UTC 2016

Am Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2016, 00:33:36 schrieb David Faure:
> I'm about to write a class to handle favicons in a KIO library, rather than
> using DBus communication to a (currently kded, could be kiod otherwise)
> module.
>
> I think there just isn't any point in using a central DBus module to handle
> a shared cache when a lock file can do the job.
>
> The question is: this would only depend on KIOCore and QImage. Shall I put
> it in KIOWidgets or shall I create a new KIOGui library, for QML apps to
> avoid the QWidget dependency ?

+1 for KIOGui.

Even if this means another module and thus increased complexity, it is still
good to start walking into the direction now where possible already.

After all QtQuick-only apps are something KF5 wants to be attractive for as
well (think mobile platforms, SailfishOS even has that as requirement for
their appstore).

Adding such *Gui modules also starts to shape our minds more in that
direction, and gives positive feedback to those not postponing to split off
QWidget dependencies in the libs they work on, as they see others moving
forward there as well :)
So when KF6 is around the corner where incompatible cleanup is possible, going
QWidget-less where wanted should be easier to do if prepared now already.

Cheers
Friedrich