Menu/Command capitalization

Pino Toscano pino at kde.org
Thu Jan 7 23:28:20 UTC 2016

Hi,

In data giovedì 7 gennaio 2016 22:42:18, Jaroslaw Staniek ha scritto:
> Not too long ago MS Windows has moved from "Title Capitalization" to
> "Sentence capitalization" for menus and commands:
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn742392.aspx
>
> What can we do and should we do something about this?

Nothing IMHO -- see below.

> - For everyone else perhaps it's better to offer something officially
> or else some people would fork translations or avoid using KDE's code.

You don't need to fork anything, just provide a "translation" on top of
the untranslated strings.

> - Is automated conversion for capitalization a reasonable approach?
> Runtime or script-based generation.

Definitely not: please never ever mess up with user-visible strings.

> - Do we have checks for semantic strings and capitalization? If so
> would they need updates, or?

By hand, when somebody spots a mistake and fixes it.

> - Some (future?) KF5 users would target Windows expecting that the
> resulting apps look and feel largely native.

> [...]

> - Mac OS X and iOS is consistent with KDE capitalization:
>   https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/TerminologyWording.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH15-SW4

To simplify the situation:
- right now we are like OS-A but different than OS-B
- with your proposal, we would be like OS-B but different than OS-A
So, there would be always a class of users feeling "native" (regarding
the string capitalization),  and another one feeling "alien".

Sorry, but I don't see how mass-changing English strings, to end up in
the very same situation (1 like, 1 different) wrt other OSes. At least
for me, it has been hard enough to keep KDE applications following our
style in the last 10+ years, I don't want to start over again.

--
Pino Toscano