Taking a (semi-)break

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Tue Feb 23 20:03:36 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-22 22:01, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alex Merry wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A combination of a serious illness in the family and some of the
>> heated
>> discussions taking place on other KDE mailing lists has led to me
>> burning out on the KDE front. As a result, I'm taking a step back
>> (some
>> of you may have noticed this already). I expect to get back into the
>> swing of things when I've recovered my energy, but I don't know how
>> long
>> that will be.
>
> Thanks for all of your efforts in driving ECM forward the last few
> years!
>
> While I was previously quite active in ECM, I left it behind to focus
> on
> modernizing CMake itself for the last few years. That particular goal
> is
> achieved as far as I am concerned, so I'm not so active in CMake
> anymore.
>
> I'll pick up some of the slack on the ECM front, so that it's not
> something
> you need to feel concerned about or feel a nagging responsibility for.
>
> I totally understand the need to create some space between yourself and
> mood altering environment as KDE can at times be, and I applaud your
> refocusing on giving family and yourself attention instead. Feel good
> about
> that!
>
> I'm going to have to catch up on some of what has happened since
> v1.0.0, and
> find out what the important issues are these days. If you have some
> pointers
> on the latter - which you didn't expand upon to not scare someone off
> :) -
> please let me know.
>
> I'll have a look around in the coming weeks at drop questions here if I
> have
> any.

Thank you! My vague TODO list was something like:

* improve test coverage
* update the documentation system to have the to-command links CMake's
docs have (it would be nice to have a Sphinx module that was generically
usable by projects downstream of CMake that would link to the upstream
docs properly using intersphinx)
* the ecm_target_link_libraries thing you suggested to allow the
ecm_add_tests command to be split up a bit
* up the minimum CMake version (need to decide with the Frameworks
maintainers about how important Ubuntu 14.04 support is, mainly)
* upstream some stuff to CMake

Alex