I'm missing the favicons interface

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Feb 22 07:04:41 UTC 2016

On Friday, February 19, 2016 11:04:21 PM CET David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 February 2016 22:32:18 Robby Stephenson wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:00 PM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > > I'm curious though, what's the use case for a large favicon? In KDE4 the
> > > only
> > > time I see this is when using Alt+Tab and with konqueror windows open
> > > (and
> > > that
> > > looks a bit weird because other apps have a much bigger icon than
> > > konq's,
> > > but
> > > that's an unrelated issue I guess). I guess your app has another use for
> > > large
> > > icons with a favicon, I'm just curious what it is, and whether the
> > > text-html icon
> > > as the main icon is the best icon to have. This is an opportunity to
> > > rethink this
> > > if we want to ;)
> >
> > Tellico searches a number of API end points, including some like SRU or
> > z39.50 that could be any server at all. Many are also http servers and
> > provide a favicon. In the configuration dialog for those sources, I chose
> > to put a 64x64 icon next to all the specific data options and the favicon
> > overlay fits the bill. I agree - it's an odd case, and as for whether
> > text/html is the best icon, well, probably better than any other option.
>
> OK.
>
> I experimented a little bit, and realized that there are a few issues....
> even in kdelibs4 this isn't ideal, in Alt+Tab everything has much bigger
> icons than konqueror's favicon... so an icon engine (and returning
> a QIcon from the job) would be good, but a bit tricky for konqueror's code
> (which uses QString for this in many places).
>
> This also makes me wonder if KWindowSystem::setIcons should
> still exist, it's limited to two icons sizes while QIcon can handle a lot
> more --- Martin?

well yeah the API in KWindowSytem is not optimal. It would be better to have a
variant to pass a QIcon.

The underlying NETWinInfo class can set icons in any size, though.

The better question is whether QWindow::setIcon works as expected. If that's
the case I'd suggest to deprecate KWindowSystem::setIcons in favor of
QWindow::setIcon.

Cheers
Martin