FileManager1 wrapper in KIO/KRun (re-sent)

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Fri Feb 5 14:54:00 UTC 2016

(seems BlackBerry 10 doesn't think anyone would want to send plain-text Emails, sorry for the previous html screw-up)

Hi everyone, ‎

There's a FDO DBus interface [1] to tell a file manager to highlight a given file in a directory. This is interface is provided by Nautilus and Dolphin and probably others and used by some third party applications like Firefox, Gimp iirc.

We have many places where we want to show the parent folder of a file but usually just open the containing folder and the user has to search for the file manually.‎ Given this, I think we should have a method for this in KIO or KRun or similar that invokes this and/or falls back to the traditional way of just opening the folder if unavailable.

Suggestions on where to put it or how to expand on this idea?

Cheers,
Kai Uwe

[1] ‎http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/file-manager-interface/