official guidelines on the install location of cmake modules?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:18:28 UTC 2016

Stephen Kelly wrote:

>> modules. IOW, those modules have to be installed into ${prefix}/lib/cmake
>> and nowhere else.
>
> Where else do you want to install them?

Basically, wherever *I* want :)

> CMake only looks in a set of
> predefined locations for them.

I'd say that the fact that CMake only looks in a set of predefined locations is
a moot point. Or rather, the fact that is a set of more than 1 location is
already a sufficient reason to avoid making assumptions on where the files end
up, IMHO.
Also, cmake can be told to look in additional locations.

To stir up the pot a bit: there is something of a consensus among some KDE devs
that KDE should blend in and behave as "natively" as possible on each platform.
If on OS X that means bundling as standalone app bundles, it ought logically
also mean that the KF5 frameworks be built as real frameworks. That is, bundles
containing headers, the binary and all required resources (and that should a
priori be relocatable between the standard locations for such items).
Not that I see a particular value in doing this, but I'd expect that such an
approach would require rethinking the expected location and contents of the
cmake files ;)

R.