MimeType issues on CI (Was: Re: Delaying KF 5.21)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Apr 3 10:58:24 UTC 2016

On Sunday 03 April 2016 12:43:27 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

> Turns out when you include /usr/share in XDG_DATA_DIRS, all mime types that
> might have been provided by other dependencies in /srv/jenkins/.../foo/inst/
> usr/share/mime are ignored, possibly due to update-mime-database not being ran
> for those directories.

I'm not sure I fully understand this sentence. Do you mean the value of XDG_DATA_DIRS
at update-mime-database time or during the running of unit tests?

update-mime-database works on one specific install dir and creates files there.
The value of XDG_DATA_DIRS during the run of update-mime-database
shouldn't matter.

If the stuff /srv/jenkins/.../foo/inst/usr/share/mime is ignored, it can be either
1) because update-mime-database wasn't run on that dir
   (which is my current hypothesis for the KIO kfileitemtest failure which needs a mimetype from kcoreaddons)
2) because that dir isn't in XDG_DATA_DIRS (this is not the problem) later on.
3) because update-mime-database ran but didn't create the stuff it's supposed to create
 -- I understand your email as saying this might be the problem, but I can't confirm it:

on my own system, I have /usr/share/mime/packages/kde.xml defining application/x-smb-workgroup
and /usr/share in XDG_DATA_DIRS, and yet running update-mime-database on
/d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks/share/mime creates
/d/kde/inst/kde_frameworks/share/mime/application/x-smb-workgroup.xml as expected.

> I manually ran update-mime-database on the akonadi and kdepim-runtime install
> dirs on Jenkins and the Zanshin tests magically started passing again.

Yes, which only proves that the problem was that it didn't run, not that the value
of XDG_DATA_DIRS is the problem.

> Our idea for a quick dirty fix was to simply run update-mime-database once CI
> sets up the environment variables but before the test is executed.
>
> David, do you have any better suggestions?

Yes, I'd like to know why "make install" in e.g. kcoreaddons doesn't seem to
run update-mime-database on CI while it does here (and given that update-mime-database
*is* found in the CI).
With the new CI I'm having trouble debugging this, there are no sources and build dirs
from previous runs anymore :-)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5