KNotifications filters

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Fri Sep 25 02:35:24 UTC 2015

Hey all,

I've discussed this a bit with Eike previously, but thought I'd try a
wider audience to get some more ideas. When we used to have
kttsd/jovie it had the concept of filters that it would use for
different applications speech to normalize what gets sent to the
synthesizer. In this way notifications from
kopete/konversation/whatever would be changed from:

'<milian> PovAddict: why are you not here!'

Milian says: PovAddict: why are you not here!

The Jovie git repository has some default filters that can be used for
chat, chat-de, kmail, polish, qt2plaintext etc. that were useful for
users to load that would do the filtering. I think this feature was
very very hard to find though. Anyway, Jovie is dying, and I'd like to
bring this feature back to all speech that goes through KNotifications
to QtSpeech. KNotifications has src/notifybytts which sends
notification text, or appname, or can even send eventId to QtSpeech,
but I'd like to add filtering here. I think we should probably default
to filtering with all sane filters but make them customizable of
course in case anyone wants to tweak them. The problem is that
KNotifications pass a KNotifyConfig for each notification, so each
application's notifications have their own config for TTS entry.
Should/could we use one global configuration for all filters and load
it in NotifyByTTS::notify so all notifications are filtered the same
way? If so I guess the logical place for it would be a TTS group in
kdeglobals, does that make sense?

thanks,
Jeremy