kcrash when started from terminal

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Sep 24 21:09:02 UTC 2015

On Thursday 24 September 2015 09:41:24 Harald Sitter wrote:
> n Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:30 AM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 September 2015 14:24:33 Harald Sitter wrote:
> >> Heya
> >>
> >> is it intentional that KCrash is not running when an application is
> >> started via kdeinit?
> >>
> >> In particular since only very few libraries seem to link KCrash it
> >> never gets loaded for 99% of applications, thus not installing as a
> >> qcoreapp crash handler and thus not handling crashes.
> >> Notably exception being forking from kdeinit (i.e. krunner a desktop file).
> >>
> >> It took me quite a while to notice that apps started from a terminal
> >> never get a drkonqi on crash and track that to kcrash not having its
> >> Q_COREAPP_STARTUP_FUNCTION run, so I think at best this is very
> >> unintuitive from a development perspective :)
> >
> > The plan was for all GUI apps to link to KCrash, and I think this is still the
> > best fix here. Someone needs to go through CMakeLists.txt for apps and add
> > KF5::Crash.
> >
> > Do people porting to KF5 follow a guide for the cmakelists.txt part of it?
> > That guide should mention this too ;)
>
> Uh, ah, but, CMake is too smart :P
> If you add a target_link_library that isn't actually used it won't be
> linked. So what every application would have to do is add the target
> *and* call some function of KCrash so it actually links. Latter of
> course then defeats the purpose of the Q_COREAPP_STARTUP_FUNCTION.
> Ideally we'd first need a way to force cmake to link KF5Crash even if
> the target that wants to link it doesn't use it. I did a web search
> into that area yesterday but failed to come up with something useful
> unfortunately.

Oh.
Then maybe another Q_COREAPP_STARTUP_FUNCTION in the platorm theme
like Aleix said is a solution.... although it would then magically change behavior
of *all* Qt apps, including thise who might have their own crash handler.

Maybe better ask on kde-buildsystem how to force linking to a lib...

Working on KDE Frameworks 5