Icons installed by apps

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Sep 24 21:04:48 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 22 September 2015 18:44:47 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 22 September 2015 at 14:17, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > A couple of related questions while wrestling with issues such as [1].
> >
> > Let's assume Kexi app installs some icons to
> > PREFIX/share/kexi/icons/oxygen/32x32/places/ or
> > PREFIX/share/kexi/icons/breeze/32x32/places.
> > Can these be searched by the icon engine?
>
> Sorry for adding more info to clarify.
> UserIconSet is deprecated so I guess this functionality is deprecated too...
> since QIcon::fromTheme() apaprently isn't able to find app icons.
>
> I've seen quite a few KDE apps compiling-in their (usually custom
> action) icons into qrc instead.
>
> I've not seen other app that do what Calligra apps do:
> using icons fron share/calligra/icons (in kdelibs4 times
> share/apps/calligra/icons).
>
> Comments?

I guess qrc is actually better. Otherwise app1 might start depending on icon installed
by app2 (without really noticing). And this simplifies deployment (and speeds up lookup).

What I don't know however is whether artists consider that these icons should be themeable...

BTW did you look into the xdg icon spec?
I guess it's not there?
On the other hand it doesn't prevent doing it since it's not about sharing icons; it's just harder
to convince Qt to look there :) (I think qiconengine and kiconengine should stay compatible,
so that we can even consider switching to qiconengine one day).

Working on KDE Frameworks 5