qca-qt5 (qt5 branch) merge into qca (master branch)

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Thu Sep 24 09:02:10 UTC 2015

ahoy ahoy

qca-qt5 as a "thing" is a build time switch on the same source as qca
(qt4). so, it is the same source base but depending on how you run
cmake you either get the qt5 or the qt4 build.

originally various adjustments had to be made to qca-qt5 to make it
work reliably without conflicting with qca (qt4), there was however a
very long discussion on whether or not that is the right thing to do
which eventually ended in the maintainer stepping down [anyone wanna
maintain qca? it's like phonon but for crypto :)]. at the time qca-qt5
as a tarball was released which had the changes and could co-exist
with the regular qca tarball.

now, since qca essentially has no lead authority we could do what was
the original intention here. i.e. make the qca source base build two
distinct libraries for qt4 and qt5 that do not conflict in any form or
fashion. this would be a simple `git merge qt5` and then we can
release a qca tarball that replaces the old qca-qt5 tarball.

Q: any objections to merging qca's qt5 branch into master and
replacing the qt5 tarball with a new release that supports both qt4
and qt5?

HS