kcrash when started from terminal

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Sep 23 12:24:33 UTC 2015

Heya

is it intentional that KCrash is not running when an application is
started via kdeinit?

In particular since only very few libraries seem to link KCrash it
never gets loaded for 99% of applications, thus not installing as a
qcoreapp crash handler and thus not handling crashes.
Notably exception being forking from kdeinit (i.e. krunner a desktop file).

It took me quite a while to notice that apps started from a terminal
never get a drkonqi on crash and track that to kcrash not having its
Q_COREAPP_STARTUP_FUNCTION run, so I think at best this is very
unintuitive from a development perspective :)

HS