marble builds when it shouldn't

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Tue Sep 22 11:00:38 UTC 2015

ahoy ahoy,

I have a bit of an unexpected CI outcome on build.kde.org.

https://build.kde.org/job/marble%20Applications-15.08%20stable-kf5-qt5/PLATFORM=Linux,compiler=gcc/15/consoleFull

this build has a suposedly broken commit [1]. The commit fails an
assert to do with i18n types [2][3]. But, the build on build.kde.org
does not fail, so something is going rather wrong here. Looking at
ki18n the assert is only active when built without -DNDEBUG, which
should be the case all Debug cmake builds. So supposedly that is not
the case in that marble build there for some reason. Since building
with -DNDEBUG probably disables more of these static asserts this
seems like a really bad thing from a CI POV.
So, it would be really good if someone could grep the installed
artifacts for something setting NDEBUG (random guess: maybe Qt is
built in release mode and has NDEBUG in its flags?).

Also on a more general note: I think it would be handy if all builds
used CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE=TRUE to get verbose make output which
would make it easier to notice when things such as -DNDEBUG are passed
to gcc.

[1] http://commits.kde.org/marble/5cf8f12c6351e9bad58c896d1ba2a407e6efa5b3
[2] http://paste.ubuntu.com/12520348/
[3] https://launchpadlibrarian.net/218545845/buildlog_ubuntu-wily-amd64.marble_4%3A15.08.1%2Bgit20150922.1003%2B15.10-0_BUILDING.txt.gz