set passwords only if changed

Boettger, Heiko Heiko.Boettger at karlstorz.com
Fri Sep 4 07:45:52 UTC 2015

Hi Jan

when I don't read the secrets via NetworkManager::Connection::secrets and store the changes applied on a setting the passwords are always cleared. I assume the passwords are replaced by the empty string because I never set them. I tried to filter the secrets out by removing the password properties from the settings map before passing it to the ConenctionSettings::Update method. This doesn't seem to work. I just wonder whether I made a mistake somewhere or if it really isn't possible that way.

The reason why I don't want to read the passwords is that a college thinks that this  might be insecure. There is no problem for me to just hide the passwords from the users eye.

Are there any side effect calling NetworkManager::Connection::secrets? I mean, does the user need to have special permissions to get the passwords? And if so, does saving the password require less access rights?

May be all depends on the secret agent used in the system running behind, am I right? Is it also right that the NetworkManager::SecretAgent class is not meant to be used directly and is internally used when I use  NetworkManager::Connection::secrets and ConenctionSettings::Update.

Thank in advance for your help.

Best Regards
Heiko