Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Oct 24 07:37:56 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Wednesday 21 October 2015 22:22:54 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 October 2015 21:06:02 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > My concern there is more the fact that this kind of "short term" or
> > "temporary" solutions tend to become permanent. As long as it is causing
> > pain you can hope someone will look at it and try to fix it... and
> > indeed, see what you achieved! ;-)
> > But if you put in place something short term lifting the immediate pain,
> > people will learn to live with it and it'll stay. I hope we'll avoid that.
>
> At the moment my biggest concern is, that we stay in the status quo:

That's why I mention pain. If there's no pain involved then yes, slipping in
the status quo is involved. If there's some pain, at one point someone (like
you) gets annoyed and start to shake things.

> Frameworks as in our git master branch are more or less "not usable" on non
> linux/xdg conform systems (beside pure functional tier1 or so) and all
> people that do use them on other systems hack happy away using patches for
> Qt/frameworks/applications floating around on github/macports/mingw/.... or
> just fork and shrink the frameworks locally.

Right, *that* is a problem. A few years back it wouldn't have happened though.
In some way we lost the culture of every team having people not shying away
from touching kdelibs (at the time) in case of needs, now most teams consider
it as a black box. I wish we'd go back to the old ways regarding people
involvement in frameworks (and you give me hope there) because otherwise
middle to longer term we're on the right path for a tragedy of the commons
(kdelibs now KF being clearly one, especially for our community).

> Given we want to broaden our scope away from the "pure Linux/X11(Wayland)
> Desktop" country, that makes me a bit sad. But I see progress in the right
> direction and interest by people to help out.

Yes, and I'm delighted about that!

Cheers.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net