[KDE/Mac] Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 21:53:50 UTC 2015

On Wednesday October 21 2015 13:08:46 Dominik Haumann wrote:

> In Windows, such a package manager does not exist. KDE tried to create
> such a package manager through the emerge/KDE Windows installer, but
> this is non-standard [on Windows] and simply not what users want.

That's not entirely accurate. Microsoft themselves push updates through the equivalent of a package manager (I'm getting updates for stuff used by MS Office without even having that suite installed). If you install Apple software you'll get Apple Software Update which does what its name suggest (how many iPhone users don't own a Mac - clearly they are not annoyed enough with the situation to dump either the iPhone or MS Windows).

I'm only an occasional MSWin user these days, so I'm not going to say much more about this, other than that I'd hesitate a lot to install binary packages provided by the KDE community if those all installed their own copy of the required dependencies. A matter of principle which I'd also apply to a commercial entity providing a range of KF5 applications (those could all share a dedicated set of Qt/KF5 dependencies, though). Also, I suppose that if KF5 applications were to be provided by cygwin, they'd want resources to be shared.

R.