Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Gregor M gregormi at posteo.de
Wed Oct 21 10:25:36 UTC 2015

> I think that is more or less what we had in the past with the "kdewin"
> installer,
> that is like the cygwin installer pulling in all stuff you need and a
> set of applications
> in some common prefix.
>
> I am not sure that was such a success, compared to what e.g. Krita,
> Marble, Digikam and others do:
> individual self-contained installers (or bundles).
>
> I really think we should focus on making frameworks fit for that and
> not
> rebuilding some "micro-distro" with online installer for that operating
> systems.
>
> But that is just my opinion, perhaps I am wrong with that.

Hi Christoph,

as a long-term user of free software under Windows I can confirm your
impression. Applications which are shipped as self-contained installers
just work out-of-the-box and do not conflict with other applications on
the system which makes them pleasant to use.

(One disadvantage is that each of them has to be updated individually
but that's a general problem with the installers approach of how it is
done under Windows)

Gregor