Policy for Dependencies

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Oct 14 18:55:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015, Martin Klapetek wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Christoph Cullmann <cullmann at absint.com> wrote:
>
>       Given that lot opposition was here for a 5 lines change which does break nothing
>       if packagers don't skrew up.
>

> Not to be disrespectful, but history has proven that the assumption
> above unfortunately doesn't always hold up. So it's just better not
> to count on it. Hence so much of the opposition.

Well, sure, stuff can break. However, without changes like this, KDE's
Frameworks libraries are _not fit for purpose_. These libraries _can not
be used_ by the intended user group, that is application developers,
except for the tiny minority that only targets Linux, and only cares
about having their applications packaged by distributions. As for Krita,
we currently maintain builds for three distributions, and I can't wait
for the day we can have a generic linux build like Blender and Firefox.

I've talked myself hoarse selling frameworks to dozens of interested
people at the QtWS in Berlin, none of whom cared about how Linux
distributions would package their software, but I'm honestly going to have
to copy a bunch of code and cut it down, instead of using the libraries
them- selves. Claiming, as people have done in the past, that that's
because my attitude is bad or because I refuse to do the right thing
is wrong-headed. People who make a library must make it fit for use,
and not demand that their target users adapt or skip using it.

Boudewijn