phonon hassle to build WAS: Re: Policy for Dependencies

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Wed Oct 14 06:47:20 UTC 2015

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Christoph Cullmann <cullmann at absint.com> wrote:
>> phonon is a hassle on both win/mac (if you don't require audio, like most
>> applications won't)
>
> Oo
>
> explain please?
Hi,

to build phonon with an usable backends is work on mac and win and e.g. Kate uses no
sounds at all normally. That doesn't mean that phonon has any special problems on that architecture,
just that it is for many use cases not needed and making it optional in knotifications is 4 lines
of code ;=) (beside that it avoids to ship the phonon libs without need in the bundle)

I hope I did not offend you ;=) Phonon is for sure buildable there, if you want.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com