Policy for Dependencies

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Oct 13 06:55:27 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:42:43 AM CEST Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,

thanks for raising this topic. I think it's very important that we have a
general strategy for frameworks and not have thousands of micro-fixes in
various frameworks.

> 1) "Normal" deployment like we do in on Linux => just installing it with all
> features if possible. 2) "Application Bundles/Installer" like we will have
> to do it on Win/Mac and 3rdparty Linux people will need to do.
>
> I think the easiest solution is to make stuff optional. That will avoid ugly
> "if (WIN OR APPLE OR ANDROID)".. hacks in CMake and allow people to still
> build stuff with that deps on that operating systems if really wanted.

Given from the no-X11 fixes I think that we should avoid all if (WIN OR APPLE)
as that:
a) is hard to maintain
b) doesn't scale
c) not testable for the devs working on Linux

Given that it should be feature based and we should make as much usage of the
built in CMake features we have. I really like the approach we have now found
for X11 on OSX: disable certain find modules at a global level.

I think that is something which could be applied for more things. Control
through global ECM settings. This could if we don't want to have global
changes also through convenient command switches:

e.g. cmake -DECM_BUILD_FOR_OSX_APPBUNDLE

which then implies e.g. no phonon and no dbus and ...

Cheers
Martin