X11 on Windows

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Oct 12 08:33:57 UTC 2015

On Monday, October 12, 2015 10:01:42 AM CEST Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 12 October 2015 at 08:33, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi frameworks and windows devs,
> >
> > from the release announcement of the latest frameworks release I learned
> > that there were multiple changes to disable finding X11 on Windows (e.g.
> > [1]). I think such changes are wrong and I have spoken against such
> > changes (they are wrong, CMake supports disabling modules without
> > checking in code!) in the past multiple times when I was aware of them
> > (please include me in any reviews touching X11).
> >
> > Given that we came up with a good solution for OSX directly in ECM [2].
> > Can we get a similar solution for Windows? Then we can stop to patch
> > random frameworks.
>
> Hi Martin,good point.
> The difference is that KDE on Mac developer(s) prefer to support X11,
> and I am not sure anyone wants to spend precious time for supporting
> X11 on Windows.

No they don't. There were some confusing mails on the mailing list. The
situation is exactly the same as on OSX and the change done in ECM is exactly
based on the assumption that nobody wants to compile Qt software with X11
support on OSX [1]

> I am not, and I would be assuming WIN32 => NOT X11 in code I maintain.
> So if this is consistent with general direction, equivalent of
> APPLE_FORCE_X11 for windows makes no sense.

I agree that it's probably not needed on Windows unless one wants to keep the
theoretic workflows alive. The solution for OSX is also more to keep a
compatibility as it's in fact a compatibility breakage.

> So the case for Windows in KDECMakeSettings.cmake could be simpler,
> but yes, it's needed. Please give me some time for that.

Sure! Thanks for looking into it!

Cheers
Martin

[1] There is the theoretic option to build Qt with X11 support on OSX. I
assume such a theoretic option would also exist on Windows, if one wants to go
crazy.