Scope of framework integration plugin?

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 13:43:42 UTC 2015

On 30 November 2015 at 17:32, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
>> Opinions?
>
> Hi,
> I agree with you, I've proposed the same thing as you in the past,
> although there's some issues that would then need to be sorted.
>
> What you actually want is, IMHO, to move the QPlatformTheme plugin
> together with Plasma, but frameworksintegration is not entirely about
> that nowadays: it has code that integrates different frameworks with
> each other:
> - FrameworkIntegrationPlugin: this doesn't really belong in plasma,
> integrates KMessageBox with KNotifications.
> - infopage: this is used by applications as well as plasma
> - KStyle: Plasma can provide styles, but this seems more like a QStyle
> creation framework.
> - platformtheme: Plasma integration. There I agree.

Hi,

Unless I'm much mistaken, the KDE HIG encourages application UIs to be
designed in such a way that they don't look out of place on other
platforms. Therefore the KDE theming bits shouldn't even need to exist
on other platforms (unless you're one of those people who'd rather
spend time making your "Windows XP look like KDE" over using your
computer for actual work - and then blogging about said endeavour).

Applications are supposed to use the platform's native style, icons,
font settings etc. We don't want users on other platforms to open a
KDE application and suddenly feel a jarring difference between that
and their regular apps. We want all KDE apps to blend in.

So I'm gonna have to agree with Martin here - the PlatformTheme bits
should be moved over to Workspace, since that's where they belong. If
other platforms don't provide a PlatformTheme plugin - I'm tempted to
say "their problem, not ours", but we can at least help out if they
stumble. Not to say Qt already provides generic fallbacks.

Yours,
Boudhayan