Scope of framework integration plugin?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 12:02:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is currently a review request to add OSX specific changes to framework
> integration plugin [1].
>
> This seems wrong to me. I think our framework integration plugin is about
> integration Qt applications into the Plasma workspace. In my opinion it should
> not be used anywhere else. Not on GNOME, not on Windows and not on OSX. The
> idea of integration is that applications look native on the desired platform.
> The plugin defines the native look on Plasma and by that using it on other
> platforms is automatically breaking the integration.
>
> Now I understand that some people don't like the native look of their platform
> and would prefer using Plasma. Sorry I don't have an answer to that.
> Unfortunately I think it's completely out of scope for the integration
> platform to be considered outside Plasma.
>
> Given that: if people agree with my view that the framework integration is
> only about Plasma, I suggest that we move the framework integration to kde/
> workspace to release it together with Plasma instead of frameworks.
>
> Opinions?

Hi,
I agree with you, I've proposed the same thing as you in the past,
although there's some issues that would then need to be sorted.

What you actually want is, IMHO, to move the QPlatformTheme plugin
together with Plasma, but frameworksintegration is not entirely about
that nowadays: it has code that integrates different frameworks with
each other:
- FrameworkIntegrationPlugin: this doesn't really belong in plasma,
integrates KMessageBox with KNotifications.
- infopage: this is used by applications as well as plasma
- KStyle: Plasma can provide styles, but this seems more like a QStyle
creation framework.
- platformtheme: Plasma integration. There I agree.

Aleix